Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very hearty! Lots of different flavors make this an interesting dish. Feel free to add or omit just about any other vegetables.
- 4 slices bacon
- 6 country-style pork ribs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 cup julienne sliced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider (apple juice will work too)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon, crumble in bowl.
- Season ribs with salt and pepper, cook in bacon grease 3-4 minutes on high heat, turning once.
- Place in greased 9x13 baking dish, leave fat in skillet.
- Cook cabbage and onion until softened in grease.
- Remove from heat and mix in other unused ingredients. Spoon over top of pork, sprinkle with bacon.
- Cover with foil, bake 30-45 minute until center is 160°F.
Wow! This recipe brought back memories. Dad was German. Mom was Slovak. Your recipe reminded me of the way Dad prepared red cabbage. Using white cabbage with pork reminded me of Mom. I had to try your recipe and wasn't disappointed. DH wants it to be a "Keeper". I do too. I didn't use the caraway seeds. (DH and I would rather not - even though we know it's a favorite spice in many countries.) The German Pork and Cabbage Casserle is "Wonderful" without it. DH is a Diabetic. This a great a great low carb supper for him, Thank you.
Update: 10/12 - Made again. Still used white cabbage (all I had), but, this time I only used 1/2 Cup Apple Juice 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinagar. The result was "Fantastic"! This a "keeper" forever. Thank you, thank you.