Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This smells so good while cooking. I love it with coffee. I got this recipe off our news station a few years ago.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Grease a 7x11 baking pan with sides, set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Stir together warm water, yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar; pour into flour. Allow to raise until foamy.
- Add 1/4 cup softened butter, 1 beaten egg and the sugar to flour; stir together with yeast. Knead dough until well mixed. Pat dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Cover and allow to rise double in bulk while preparing next step.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Using 1 1/4 cups milk, prepare pudding mix according to package directions. Remove from heat, stir in 2 tablespoons butter. Cool. Stir in poppy seeds, almond extract and 1 beaten egg. Carefully spread pudding over raised dough. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom.