Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from "Backen Spezial" magazine, which I translated from the German. This version is unusual in that it calls for sweet red plums, rather than the more typical prune plums. You may also use sweet purple plums, but make sure they are sweet ones, not the oval prune plums.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs,one at a time,blending well after each addition.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder,and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture in small batches, just enough to moisten all of the dry ingredients (do this with a whisk or wooden spoon, not with an electric mixer).
- Add the lemon juice.
- Grease a jelly roll pan (or large rimmed cookie sheet) and press batter into the pan, spreading evenly over entire surface.
- Sprinkle the plums over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated 175 C oven for 50 minutes or until tests done.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds slices and dust heavily with powdered sugar.
- Cool and cut into squares to serve.
Delicious. Cake had a lovely texture and had just the right sweetness to go along with the red plums. I did substitute a bit of vanilla for the cinnamon. I will definitely make this recipe again.
This was a very simple recipe to follow with great results.I must admit that I didn't use the almonds on top and I left out the cinnamom, it was still great. The bottom layer is very light and the lemon juice really makes the whole thing come together. I will definitely use this recipe again.