1/1 Photo of German Pickled Beet Salad (Vegan)
1 hr 5 mins
magpie diner's Note:
Posting this for ZWT - it's from an old German cookbook. I look forward to trying this with beets fresh from the garden. You can use fresh horseradish if you dare....in which case just use 1 tsp grated. Note that this needs to sit for a day before serving, not included in the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the tops off the beets, leaving about 1" of the stem intact. Scrub the beets well then add them to a large pot with enough cold water to cover them by about 2". Add 1 tsp of the salt and bring to a boil. Once the boiling point is reached, reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer until the beets show little resistance when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. This may only take 30 minutes for young beets, much longer for more mature ones. Keep them consistently covered with water.
- 2Once cooked, drain the beets, reserving a small amount of the cooking liquid (about 1/4 cup). (You may or may not need this later on, so don't worry if you forget).
- 3When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and then cut them crosswise into 1/8" slices. Place them in a deep glass or ceramic bowl.
- 4In a medium saucepan bring the red wine, vinegar, onion, cloves, coriander, peppercorns and remaining 1 tsp of salt to a boil. Immediately pour over the beets. It should cover them, if not, add more wine.
- 5Cool to room temperature then cover well and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- 6Before serving discard the whole cloves and peppercorns. Beat the olive oil and horseradish together in a small bowl and add to the beets. Mix gently but thoroughly. If you think the sauce is going to be too thick, you can now use that reserved cooking liquid to thin things down (beat in with the olive oil and horseradish), or use a bit of plain water.
Browse Our Top German Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Pickled Beet Salad (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1353.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns