Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A favorite German Christmas cookie.
Make and share this German Pfeffernusse With Frosting (Pepper Nuts) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely crushed anise seed
- 2 unbeaten egg whites
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely crumbled anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups icing sugar
- FOR THE COOKIES: Heat honey (do not boil) in a 4 quart sauce pan. Add shortening and cool. Beat in egg.
- Sift dry ingredients together; gradually stir into the honey mixture. Knead dough slightly in bowl or on a board. Let dough stand 30 to 40 minutes.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 13 to 15 minutes. Yield: 96 to 108 cookies.
- FOR THE FROSTING: Combine egg whites, honey and spices in a 1 quart bowl. Gradually beat in icing sugar, using a beater or mixer.
- Place 12 to 14 Pfeffernusse in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of frosting. Stir gently to coat all sides. Place on a wire rack for frosting to harden. Store in a tightly closed container.
- Wheatland Bounty.
This is without a doubt one of the best Pfeffernusse cookies I have had. My family really loved these. They went together very quickly. I have never had Pfeffernusse with Icing but this was very good. Even better than just dusted with powdered sugar. Thank you Olga for a very good recipe. By the way half of what I made of this batch of cookies will be included in Holiday cookie trays. The Holiday just wouldn't be the same with out Pfeffernusse.