Recipe by **Jubes**
A traditional German cookie for Christmas..or any time of the year. Commonly served with wine. Should make 30 to 40 biscuits. If not using a blended flour with xanthan or guar gums added- then add one teaspoon of gum with your flour to the recipe. These biscuits remind me of a ginger snap cookie from Arnotts (or at least what I remember them tasting like!)
- 250 g self-raising gluten-free flour (I use Orgran brand)
- 200 g dark brown sugar
- 60 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml white pepper or 1.23 ml black pepper, if you don't mind black specks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190°C Line baking trays with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Mix all ingredients in an electric mixer on a medium speed, until roughly mixed. Do not overbeat.
- Using a spatula then,scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Leaving the mixture in the bowl, knead with your hands (gloved if you wish!) until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Roll mixture into balls, about the size of walnuts.
- Place on baking sheets about 1/2 inch/ 1 cm apart. Bake for about 10 minutes at 190°C.
- Allow the biscuits to cool completely on the trays. Store in an airtight container.