Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
You may prepare whole fish or fillets this way. From "The German Cookbook" by Mimi Sheraton. Posted for ZWT 6. Variations: -Fish can also be fried in hot corn oil or vegetable shortening. If you decide to do so, pour excess fat out of pan and add 2 tablespoons fresh butter to the skillet when you start to prepare sauce. -Breadcrumbs can be substituted with an equal amount of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Marinate the cleaned, washed perch in a mixture of lemon juice and grated onion for 1 hour.
- Pat dry, brush on both sides with oil and dredge lightly in breadcrumbs. (You may prepare either whole fish or fillets this way.).
- Heat butter in a skillet and when hot enough for bubbling to subside, add fish.
- Fry quickly, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Place on a heated platter.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet and when hot and bubbling, add minced scallions or chives.
- Saute a minute or two, then add lemon juice, salt and pepper and parsley. Let come to a boil and spoon over fish.