Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Antoinette Pope School Cookbook - my Mom's "go to" recipe!
- 1 lb apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, hot and melted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk, chilled
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Apple Filling: Saute sliced applies in butter for several minutes. Add sugar and cook for 8 minutes, turning often. If apples are too firm, cover pan and steam for a few minutes. Apples should be crisply tender - not too soft. Season with nutmeg & cinnamon. Mix well. Let stand until lukewarm before using. Filling may b amde several hours in advance an reheated just before pouring into pancakes.
- Batter for Pancakes:.
- Combine eggs, milk, flour & salt in medium bowl. Beat with electric beater for 2-3 minutes. Melt butter in 10 inch heavy aluminum or cast iron skillet. When very hot, pour batter into skillet and bake at 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Lower to 350 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes until golden brown and crisp. When pancake puffs up in the center during baking, puncture well with a fork. When done, remove form oven and tun out onto long platter. Drizzle about 2 T melted butter and 2 T sugar over entire surface then spread with sauteed apples. Fold over to enclose apples. Drizzle top with about 2 more T of butter and 2 T sugar. Cut crosswise and serve at once! Yum!