Recipe by Kaccy G.
MMM, Pancakes fresh from the oven! WOW, I was surprised when I read the recipe...never had a pancake made in the oven!!! But this German style pancake is so yummy with the marinated berries and warm maple syrup!
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, and seeds scraped out with a knife and reserved
- 1⁄2 grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 grated orange, zest of
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 pint raspberries
- 1⁄2 pint blueberries, rinsed
- 1⁄2 pint strawberry, rinsed, tops trimmed, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Heat a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and brush the inside with the shortening. Pour in the batter and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven to 350 degrees F. and continue baking until puffed and golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes more. Run a knife around the edge of the skillet. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the pancake. Serve immediately in the skillet with maple syrup and marinated berries.
- Marinated Berries:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, citrus zests, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer very gently until syrupy, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the citrus juices. Combine the berries in a bowl. Strain the warm syrup over the berries and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Serve.