Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my MIL's recipe that she has made for years. My whole family loves it. DH even loves putting jam and a sprinkle of sugar on the pancakes. He rolls them up and will eat them for breakfast. They are like a crepe. Some people like to just put the broth over the cut pancakes others like it with the veggies.
- 1 beef soup bone (I have used beef short ribs)
- 1 tomatoes, small, diced
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove, whole
- 2 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 small bay leaf
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 celery heart, sliced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Prepare pancakes while soup is simmering.
- To prepare soup put all ingredients except beef bouillon cubes into a 3 quart pot.
- Pour enough water to cover about 1 inch from top.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Put in the beef bouillon cubes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove bay leaf and soup bone.
- To prepare pancakes put all ingredients into a medium bowl and stir well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet.
- Cook pancakes flipping when top dries out.
- Remove from skillet onto paper towels.
- Roll up pancakes and let cool.
- Cut pancakes into thin slices.
- Put pancakes in bottom of soup bowl and top with soup.
I prepared this delicious soup with beef and cooked it for 2 hours. After this I added the vegetables and added some fresh mushrooms I had to use as well. I prepared more pancakes (50 % more) as I wanted to have some for snack with sugar and cinnamon. I placed the soup on the table and everybody could add as much pancakes as they wanted. Everything had been enjoyed very much and we did not have leftovers at all. The beef had been served aside (I love it simply with olive oil, salt and pepper).Thanks a lot for this warming and tasty soup.
My German friend taught me how to make this soup. Instead of putting veggies and beef bone in, she told me to make bouillion and pour it over the noodles in the bottom of the bowl. Very TASTY! I will have to try it your way but I must say I have returned several times to get your "Pancake" recipe as it makes the BEST noodles for this soup. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
very different taste but very yummy