Prep 30 mins
Cook 72 hrs
Ok, I can't verify that this German. All I know is that my Grandfather visited us when we were living there and this is one of the recipes he hauled home. Prepare ahead since it needs to sit for a couple of days. I love this stuff. Zaar World Tour 05
- Peel and wash your onions.
- Thinly slice them.
- Put them in a large bowl, and cover with the sugar.
- Cover it tightly with a lid or plastic wrap and let sit for a 2 to 3 days.
- Decant the resulting liquid into a clean jar or bottle (I use a recycled wishbone salad dressing bottle).
- Discard the onions and sugar (or use in a recipe if you can find one suitable).
- Repeat this until you get the amount of desired liquid.
- You can also add other spices, etc if you wish.
- Serve cold over salad. Enjoy.
- The serving size is guesstimated so you may have more or less.
- Note: This all depends on the sizes of your onions and your sweet tooth. You can add sugar but don't decrease it. If you want to use larger onions, add 1/2 c to 1 c more sugar per onion depending on taste. If your large onions happen to be walla walla's or vidalias wich are both naturally very sweet, don't add more than the reccomended amount of sugar unless you want it super sweet.