Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This old time passed down recipe was given to me by a dear friend. The cherries and walnuts in big bite size adds to the charm of this wonderful cake. The cinnamon sugar dusting adds a crunchy outside texture to this cake...Yum Yum!
- 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries (drained, either cut in half or left whole)
- 2 cups walnuts (whole half pieces)
Note (This is an important step to this cake)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (set aside for pan dusting)
- Cream together the two cups of sugar, vanilla, margarine, and eggs.
- Add the sour cream and blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients (except the set aside ingredients).
- Blend together well.
- Prepare a bundt pan by coating it well with shortening and dusting the pan with the 3 tbs sugar and the 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and poke the walnuts and cherries evenly as possible down into the cake batter to distribute these two ingredients evenly.
- Or you can take your chances by adding them to the batter before pouring the batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake in a hot oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Quite a delicious cake - I poured about half the batter in the pan and put cherries and walnuts on top of that, then added the rest of the batter and cherries and walnuts. The cake came out with the add-ins pretty well distributed! Great flavor and the cinnamon-sugar "crust" is just the right touch. A simple cake with a little extra surprise inside. We loved it. Thanks for posting - I'll definitely make this again. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
This is a wonderful recipe. I would like to say....if you take the nuts and fruit and toss them in a small amount of flour before adding to the batter....they won't sink...try it...you'll like this hint....in any cake....
I made this cake last night after coming across the recipe a few months ago, This cake is extremely delicious and the walnuts and cherries in it gave such a lovely flavor! My father even overlooked his breakfast to eat two slices of this cake lol :^). Will most definitely be making this cake again, God willing.