German Nurnberg Filled Cheese Rounds
- FOR THE ROQUEFORT CHEESE SPREAD: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and beat until the mixture is well blended and smooth. Cover and chill. Serve with crackers or thinly sliced pumpernickel bread. Makes about 1 cup.
- FOR THE HAM FILLING: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until thoroughly blended. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Cover and refrigerate. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- FOR THE CHEESE ROUNDS: In a large mixing bowl blend together the butter and Emmenthal or Gruyere cheese. Add the flour, egg yolk, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper and stir the dough until it is smooth. Cover and chill 1 hour or until it is firm enough to handle. Shape the dough into a 6-inch square on a sheet of waxed paper and chill, wrapped in waxed paper, 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Remove the top sheet, and with a 1 1/4 inch fluted cutter cut the dough into rounds. As you cut the rounds, arrange them 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. If necessary, place the dough in the freezing compartment of your refrigerator about 10 minutes to keep it firm. Gather the scraps, roll them out, and continue to make rounds as directed until all the dough is used. Brush half the rounds with the egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle them liberally with the coarse salt and caraway seed. Bake the rounds in a preheated 375°F oven about 12 minutes or until golden and slightly puffed. Using a spatula, transfer the rounds to wire racks and allow to cool.
- Spread the flat side of a plain round evenly with some of the Roquefort Cheese Spread and top it with a glazed round, flat side down, sandwich fashion. Repeat this procedure with the remaining rounds and cheese spread. Arrange the rounds on a serving board or platter and serve at once. Makes about 70.
- VARIATION: Substitute Ham Filling for the Roquefort Cheese Spread.
- The International Appetizer Cookbook.