Recipe by HeatherFeather
My friend Sylvia, who is German, shared this delicious recipe with me. They are hazelnut cookies sandwiched together with Nutella, a creamy chocolate & hazelnut spread. I have never made this recipe personally, only eaten it. I don't know how much Nutella you will actually need or how much dipping chocolate (should you choose to decorate these further) - I am estimating and will update the measurements when I try these out. However, if you have a full jar of Nutella spread on hand, that should be more than enough. Cook time is per batch. I don't know how many cookies this makes, so I am guessing at 36 cookie sandwiches.
- 0.50 lb sweet unsalted butter
- 0.22 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste (she said 2 dashes)
- 0.44 lb all-purpose flour
- 0.09 lb unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.28 lb finely ground hazelnuts
- 2 cups nutella chocolate hazelnut spread, approximately
- 0.28 lb bittersweet chocolate, more as needed (such as Lindt brand) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon shortening (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Have ready a pastry bag with an small round opening tip or ziploc type baggie and some scissors to snip off the end (once filled with dough).
- Cream butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, egg yolks, and cinnamon and mix until well blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder by spoonfuls (using an ordinary large soup spoon), until just mixed inches.
- Stir in the ground hazelnuts.
- Fill pastry bag and squeeze about 1 1/2" long sticks onto the lined baking sheets (or you can squirt out round drops).
- Bake at 350°F for about 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on wire racks.
- When cool, use an icing spatula to spread some Nutella on a cookie (bottoms inward), then stick another cookie to it making a sandwich.
- Optional decorative step:Melt bittersweet chocolate& shortening together in a double boiler and dip one end of each cookie sandwich into the melted chocolate.
- Let cool on wax paper until chocolate is hardened.