My friend Sylvia, who is German, shared this delicious recipe with me. They are hazelnut cookies sandwiched together with Nutella, a creamy chocolate & hazelnut spread. I have never made this recipe personally, only eaten it. I don't know how much Nutella you will actually need or how much dipping chocolate (should you choose to decorate these further) - I am estimating and will update the measurements when I try these out. However, if you have a full jar of Nutella spread on hand, that should be more than enough. Cook time is per batch. I don't know how many cookies this makes, so I am guessing at 36 cookie sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g sweet unsalted butter
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste (she said 2 dashes)
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 40 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 g finely ground hazelnuts
- 2 cups nutella chocolate hazelnut spread, approximately
- 125 g bittersweet chocolate, more as needed (such as Lindt brand) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon shortening (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3Have ready a pastry bag with an small round opening tip or ziploc type baggie and some scissors to snip off the end (once filled with dough).
- 4Cream butter until smooth and creamy.
- 5Add powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, egg yolks, and cinnamon and mix until well blended.
- 6Add flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder by spoonfuls (using an ordinary large soup spoon), until just mixed inches.
- 7Stir in the ground hazelnuts.
- 8Fill pastry bag and squeeze about 1 1/2" long sticks onto the lined baking sheets (or you can squirt out round drops).
- 9Bake at 350°F for about 8-10 minutes.
- 10Let cool on wire racks.
- 11When cool, use an icing spatula to spread some Nutella on a cookie (bottoms inward), then stick another cookie to it making a sandwich.
- 12Optional decorative step:Melt bittersweet chocolate& shortening together in a double boiler and dip one end of each cookie sandwich into the melted chocolate.
- 13Let cool on wax paper until chocolate is hardened.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Nougatstangerl Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.0
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 29.1 mg
- Sodium 18.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: