Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy recipe that I got from a real German! LOL! This is a simple and traditional German dish and every family has their own recipe. It can be prepared for the next day's picnic or barbecue. Its perfect with fried fish or meat, served with a cold beer. You can experiment with some additional or other ingredients, depending on what you want to serve with it. Enjoy!
- 1 lb pasta noodles, cooked as directed and cooled (fusilli)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (or more)
- 2 -3 green onions, finely chopped
- 5 -6 gherkins, finely chopped (reserve pickling vinegar)
- 2 -3 eggs, hard boiled, cooled and chopped into tiny pieces (slice some for decoration if you like)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Mix all other ingredients (except for optional egg garnish) in a salad bowl. If you prefer, add some vinegar from the gherkins to taste. You can also add more mayo.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. Garnish with optional egg slices.
This salad was a huge hit with DH, so much so that I almost didn't get any. He took this out of the fridge and ate most of it (I had halved the recipe). He said it was a great salad. High praise from someone who doesn't like pasta very much. It was so easy to make. The pickle juice added to the mayonnaise gave it wonderful flavor. I loved it too, and will be making this quite often. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Great summertime dish. Too hot to eat anything but something cool. I used some home made pickle relish and our family really enjoyed this. Made for ZWT7.
A wonderful addition to our BBQ last night! I love the egg and pickle combo. Turns out what my hubby thought was green onion was actually fresh garlic - so I ended up using fresh chives from my garden in place of the green onion. I also added fresh pepper and some paprika just for a little interest. Made for ZWT6.