Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A traditional family favorite. Not sure where I originally found this recipe.
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups sour cream (can use low-fat)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs (reduce the no. of eggs to 2 if they are jumbo)
- Grease well a 2-quart casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles according to package instructions until tender, but not soft. Drain well.
- Melt butter in a skillet; saute onion and celery. Stir in salt, caraway seed, and pepper. Spread a third of the noodles in casserole dish. Cover with half of the vegetables. Add half of the cottage cheese and half of the sour cream, spreading it over evenly. Repeat alternating layers, ending with noodles. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Pour beaten eggs over the top of the casserole. Bake for on hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into servings.