Recipe by Dee514
This is a "traditional" recipe which uses ground beef, ground pork and ground veal.
Top Review by Bergy
Exceptional flavor and the eggs in the middle are so attractive.. Make sure you place the eggs right across the meatloaf so all slices get a slice of egg. I used 4 boiled eggs.. This is wonderful to serve cold as well for a luncheon with a green salad & crusty rolls. I served this for dinner with lightly buttered noodles, steamed broccoli, and baby carrots. The sauce is lovely over the noodles. Easy step by step instructions. Thank you Mimi for a great recipe
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 peeled hardboiled egg
- 4 slices bacon (cube 2 strips; cut 2 strips in half)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together ground meats, onion, bread crumbs, 3 Tablespoons cold water, and eggs.
- Flavor with salt, praprika, mustard, and parsley.
- Blend ingredients thoroughly.
- Flatten out meat mixture in the shape of a square; about 8 X 8 inches.
- Arrange whole hard-boiled eggs in a row along the middle of the meat.
- Fold sides of meat pattie over the eggs.
- Shape meat carefully into a loaf, resembling a flat bread loaf.
- Cook cubed bacon in a Dutch oven about 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the vegetable oil, and heat.
- Place meatloaf in the Dutch oven and cook until browned on all sides.
- Cut remaining bacon strips in half and arrange over the top of the meatloaf.
- Place in uncovered Dutch oven in a preheated 350°F oven for about 30-45 minutes.
- While meat is baking, gradually pour hot beef broth over the top of the meatloaf; brush occasionally with pan drippings.
- When done remove meat to a preheated platter and keep it warm.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot water to pan and scrape all particles from the bottom.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and add to pan.
- Cook until bubbly and thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Reheat to warm (do not boil).
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve the sauce (on the side), separately.