Recipe by Dee514
This is my M-I-L's recipe for "German Meatloaf". She is Polish, so I'm not sure exactly how "German" it is, LOL. Posted in reply to a message board request.
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions or 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley, dried parsley is ok
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, which are soaked in
- beef bouillon (liquid Bovril, Magi,etc.,1/2 bouillon cube and 1/4 cup water OR 1/2 teaspoon Bovril and 1/4 cup wate)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 pinch nutmeg (1/8 teaspoon or less)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups water
- sherry wine (to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the meat, scallions, parsley, salt and pepper, crumbs, rosemary, nutmeg, and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Shape into a loaf.
- Place half the raw bacon strips across bottom.
- DO NOT push bacon into the meatloaf; only"place" it on top or bottom.
- Place loaf in roasting pan.
- Top with rest of bacon strips.
- Bake uncovered 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350°F.
- If bacon isn't crisp enough on top, return to oven at 450°F for another 5-10 minutes or so.
- Then remove from oven and drain juices into heavy glass bowl.
- Strain grease off the drippings, and save it.
- Prepare gravy (Optional).
- Gravy: Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a small pot, and add 4 Tablespoons flour.
- Stir well to a medium colored roux.
- Quickly,add the drippings (reserved juices), and enough water"to make 3 cups"; a little at a time.
- Add a little sherry wine, some Bovril (beef cube) flavoring, salt, pepper, and milk.
- Simmer and whisk often while thickening.