Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
The original version of this recipe came from A Taste of Country cookbook. Prep time includes setting time for meatballs to chill.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, undrained,not canned if avoidable
- water or white wine, as needed
- additional chopped parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- hot buttered boiled potato, as accompaniment
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef and pork, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire, egg, and milk.
- Shape into 1½" to 2" meatballs, and chill until set.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, and brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Remove meatballs, and drain fat from pan, leaving browned bits in bottom.
- Add sauerkraut and juice to skillet, and top with meatballs.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are done.
- Add water or wine if necessary to keep sauerkraut moist.
- Sprinkle with parsley for garnish.
- Serve with buttered boiled potatoes.
this was an easy recipe to follow and was absolutely delish.