Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty comfort food.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (2 slices)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dill weed
- Combine beef, breadcrumbs, water, onions, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix lightly.
- Shape into 24 meatballs. Place on a jelly-roll pan. Bake in a hot oven (400°) for 15 minutes, or until browned.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add flour; cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Return to heat; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in dill and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon over meatballs.
- Serve with hot buttered noodles, if you wish.
I loved the meatballs. I thought the addition of green onions was fantastic.
I did not like the sauce. It was just a white sauce with dill thrown in at the end and was tasteless for us. Definitely didn't do the meatballs justice.
My dad loved the beef version! He was very happy. I also made a fake meat version, since I don't eat meat. Both turned out great! I did add a little bacon to the beef version and it added great flavor. I love the dill sauce. It was very simple and it would be great for noodles or on potatoes. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Peace & Love, ElaineAnn
Very nice, easy recipe. Meatballs were very good! Husband thought that they needed something...but could not say what. we all agreed it was a good comfort food meal. Served over noodles. Reminds me of a meal my Aunt used to make. I will be keeping it. Thanks for posting. ZWT6