Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from germanculture.com & is posted here for the ZWT6.
Make and share this German Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 hard roll
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 4 anchovy fillets, diced
- 1 small onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
FOR THE BROTH
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 peppercorns
FOR THE GRAVY
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- FOR THE MEATBALLS ~ Soak the roll in the water for 10 minutes, then squeeze it dry & place it in a mixing bowl with the ground beef.
- Add bacon, anchovy fillets, onion, egg, salt & pepper & mix thoroughly.
- Shape the meat mixture into balls about 2 inches in diameter, then set them aside.
- FOR THE BROTH ~ Put all the broth ingredients into a large pot & bring to a boil.
- Add meatballs to the boiling broth & simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon then set them aside to keep warm, while reserving the broth.
- FOR THE GRAVY ~ Heat butter in a skillet & stir in the flour, cooking for 3 minutes & stirring constantly.
- Slowly blend in 2 cups of the reserved broth, then add the capers, lemon juice & mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove a small amount of the gravy to blend with the egg yolk, then stir the egg mixture back into the gravy & season, if necessary, with salt & pepper.
- Add the meatballs to the gravy & reheat if necessary before serving on a preheated platter.