Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe comes from germanculture.com & is posted here for the ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 hard roll
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 4 anchovy fillets, diced
- 1 small onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
FOR THE BROTH
FOR THE GRAVY
- 1FOR THE MEATBALLS ~ Soak the roll in the water for 10 minutes, then squeeze it dry & place it in a mixing bowl with the ground beef.
- 2Add bacon, anchovy fillets, onion, egg, salt & pepper & mix thoroughly.
- 3Shape the meat mixture into balls about 2 inches in diameter, then set them aside.
- 4FOR THE BROTH ~ Put all the broth ingredients into a large pot & bring to a boil.
- 5Add meatballs to the boiling broth & simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon then set them aside to keep warm, while reserving the broth.
- 7FOR THE GRAVY ~ Heat butter in a skillet & stir in the flour, cooking for 3 minutes & stirring constantly.
- 8Slowly blend in 2 cups of the reserved broth, then add the capers, lemon juice & mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9Remove a small amount of the gravy to blend with the egg yolk, then stir the egg mixture back into the gravy & season, if necessary, with salt & pepper.
- 10Add the meatballs to the gravy & reheat if necessary before serving on a preheated platter.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (607 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.1
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 192.0 mg
- Sodium 1455.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 26.6 g