Recipe by Mia in Germany
This is the classical German marbled cake. There are several recipes for marbled cakes posted here on food.com but none is the authentic one, somewhat similar to a pound cake.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 lb cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 ounce cocoa
- 3⁄4 ounce sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bundt cake pan.
- Beat butter and sugar together, then add vanilla, eggs and salt.
- Combine flour and baking powder and stir into butter-sugar-egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Only add enough milk for the batter to drop heavily and ripping apart from a spoon.
- Fill 2/3 of the batter into the greased cake pan.
- Mix the remaining batter with cocoa, sugar and 2 or 3 tablespoons milk, until batter again drops heavily and ripping apart from a spoon.
- Pour cocoa batter on top of the light one and move a fork spiralling through the two layers, so that you get a marbled pattern.
- Bake for about 75 minutes.