Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 -3 lbs green cabbage
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into strips 1/2 to 1 inch long
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup beer (German brand beer, Lowenbrau)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Wash the cabbage under cold running water.
- Remove tough outer leaves, and cut the cabbage into quarters.
- To shred the cabbage, cut out the core and slice the quarters crosswise into 1/8 inch-wide strips.
- Drop the cabbage into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, and mix well with a spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, beer, celery seed, salt and a few grindings of black pepper.
- Stir with a wire whisk until all the ingredients are blended.
- Pour the mixture over the cabbage and toss together gently but thoroughly.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the coleslaw for about an hour before serving.
Yum!! Found the Lowenbrau (lions's brew) at my local specialty store). This is a unique and tasty coleslaw - thank you for sharing!
kind of bland....definately need to add more spices to this recipe.
Not my favorite but definitely good. The German beer we had on hand wasn't Lowenbrau & lent a bitter taste to the dressing. Otherwise, it was great & easy enough for a kid to make, lol. Made for the Kid Friendly challenge of ZWT4. :)