For those of us - and I know you're out there! - who really do like liverwurst. I love the stuff! This recipe came from my grandparents.
- 1 cup liverwurst
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes or 1⁄4 cup fresh minced onion (red onion could be nice)
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- Blend the liverwurst and sour cream until smooth and creamy (adding extra sour cream to get to your preferred texture)- a food processor works well for this.
- Add all the other ingredients, mixing well, then place in serving bowl.
- Optional: if you want to be really decadent, top it with crumbled bacon.
- May be served at room temperature or chilled; makes about 1 3/4 cups of dip.
- Dippers: cucumber, celery, bell pepper strips, radishes, cauliflower, asparagus, cocktail rye bread, lavasch crackers, Wasa, etc.
Yowser! I grew up with this! We used a little horseradish in it. We used minced dill pickles and no sweet relish. No one when I was growing up knew about yogurt so we used sour cream or in a pinch used cottage cheese, mashed. We served with saltine crackers. Thanks for posting! This brought back memories and I will have to make it just for me.!
Perhaps I added a bit too much mayo but this definitely has potential. A family member suggested adding horseradish and I think that would add a nice kick.
This was really quite good, I was afraid that it was too runny as I mixed it in the food processor. But it set up in the fridge overnight. I think it really needs time for the flavours to mingle particularly the onion. I also added some dill as I thought it needed some added depth. Unfortunately my liverwurst wasn't that flavourful; next time I'll make it with a better quality liverwurst!