Recipe by BonnieZ
I came by this recipe by way of the February 2005 Zaar recipe adoption and decided to adopt it because it sounded just like a soup my father used to bring home from a restaurant he bartended at when I was a child. I was pleasantly surprised that it was the same as I remembered, and other than cutting back on the salt and fat, I made very little adjustment.
Top Review by Gina Lukhart
Lentilsoup is one of my favorite dishes and my Mom made it quite often because it was an inexpensive way to feed a whole family. In Germany we do not use the celery or the carrots in Lentilsoup, but I actually like that idea, gives it an extra little flavor. And yes we often use ham or even brown some bacon as added flavor. The way I make it is, I cut about a quarter pound of bacon into strips, brown these, the put in one chopped onion and let it brown slightly until golden. I add water and the desired amount of lentils. Let it cook for about an hour. In a seperate saucepan I melt 3 tbs margarine and put in 3 tbs of flour, then I use about 3 tbs of vinegar take some of the already made lentil soup and mix it up good so you dont get lumps, transfer to lentil soup and stir well, let cook an additional half hour. Cut up some Frankfurters heat, and serve over Spaetzle. Very famous dish in every Gasthaus in Germany.
- 2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- 473.18 ml lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium carrots, scraped and diced
- 2.46-4.92 ml salt
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 9.85 ml canola oil
- 453.59 g frankfurter, sliced in half inch rounds
- 1892.72 ml water
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in heated oil in a large kettle for 5 minutes.
- Add water, lentils, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly, covered, about 30 minutes, until lentils are just tender.
- Add frankfurters and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.