Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted by request. Adapted from "Authentic German Homestyle Recipes" by Gini Youngkrantz.
Make and share this German Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup green lentil (aka German lentils)
- 6 cups cold water
- 3 bouillon cubes (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 -3 large potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- cooked smoked link sausage, sliced (optional)
- Rinse lentils very well with cold water- pick them over and remove any nasty bits or pieces of stone.
- You can soak them overnight in cold water if you like, then drain before using.
- In a large stockpot, place drained lentils, 6 cups fresh cold water, bouillon cubes, and just half of the diced onion.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours on medium-low heat, covered.
- Add the potatoes and cook until they are tender- 30-40 minutes approximately.
- In a small pan, melt the butter and saute the remaining onions until browned.
- Add the flour to the onions and stir until combined.
- Add to the soup, stirring constantly to combine.
- Add the vinegar and season with salt& pepper to taste.
- Optional:If you would like to add some meat to the soup, simply have pre-cooked sausages (you can even use German frankfurters if desired) sliced into small rounds and drop them into the pot during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
this is a hearty vegetarian soup, and tasted even better the next day. i blended some with a hand blender to thicken, but left enough chunks for texture. good for a cold winter day
Wow this was SOOO yummy. I added a little diced turkey ham (I'm on Weight watchers) and it was the perfect meal. My kiddos went nuts for it and all I did was add a few cooked elbow macaronis to their bowls!!! I'll make this again..and again and again!!!
Wow, incredibly delicious! It tastes fantastic even without meat. I have a feeling I will be making this very frequently! Thanks for sharing.