Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This hearty soup is perfect for cold, rainy or snowy days! From a November 1985 issue of Bon Appetit magazine in the R.S.V.P. section . It was requested from Salaya's Parlor and Diggin's restaurant in Nevada City, California.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 cups beef stock
- 8 ounces dried lentils
- 5 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 lb knockwurst, diced
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat,whisk in flour and stir mixture 3 minutes; set roux aside.
- Bring stock to boil in large saucepan; add lentils and boil until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add celery,carrots and onion to lentils and boil until tender, about 15 minutes;add tomato and reduce heat to low.
- Whisk in roux, add diced knockwurst, red wine and white pepper and cook 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add potatoes to soup and boil until tender, about 20 minutes,stirring frequently.
- Stir in vinegar and serve immediately.