Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very light moist loaf or bundt cake. This recipe uses very little flour. Very easy to make. Goes great with coffee or tea.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3⁄4 cup flour (I used unbleached)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Blend in each egg separately.
- Mix at least 2 minutes.
- Add Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Sour Cream and Poppy Seeds.
- Mix another 2 minutes.
- Into a separate bowl sift (very important) flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently blend flour mixture a little at a time into the batter mixture.
- Blend well.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan or bundt cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees Celsius.
- Takes 60 minutes in loaf pan.
- If using bundt cake pan check for doneness at 45 minutes.
This little German cake did great! It was moist and yellow. I was pleasantly surprised when the cake turned out as golden brown and lemon-y as I would like. At first I was unsure about baking with poppy seeds. However, after soaking only two tablespoons of them in milk for half an hour before adding them into the batter, the seeds did just fine. **I recommend doubling or tripling the recipe if looking to feed several.**
Did not work for me. Didn't rise much at all.
Great tasting, loved it! Very dense, which I also like. My cake did not rise much at all, but still very good. I used nonfat greek yogurt instead of sour cream and also reduced the sugar a little.
I put a glaze on top (mix powder sugar and lemon juice) and that made it extra lemon delicious!!!