Recipe by HeatherFeather
After I saw this recipe demonstrated on tv called "Zacherl einfach kochen!"while living in Germany, I had to give it a try. It was so yummy. On the show, they served the dish by chopping up the finished pancake and sauteeing in a skillet (turning it into Schmarrn, a popular German chopped pancake). However, we preferred this recipe straight out of the baking dish. This recipe calls for Huettenkaese, which is German for Cottage cheese.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 to 2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 100 g all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 30 g raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 liter skim milk
- salt, to taste (a pinch)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 100 g cottage cheese, drained slightly
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks with the flour, a pinch of salt, the sugar, and milk.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- Add lemon zest (amount will depend son how lemony you want these -- at least the zest of 1) and melted butter to the flour mixture.
- Stir in the raisins and cottage cheese.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into a greased ovenproof skillet and bake in a preheated 180 Celsius oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve this dusted with powdered sugar or some syrup.