1/4 Photos of German Lebkuchen With German Baking Wafers Oblaten
The cookies are baked on a thin, edible wafer called oblaten. Oblaten are crisp, white wheat wafers that are available in specialty food shops. If you do not have a specialty food shop that handles oblaten, check with a local religious supply house. Wafers that are used for communion come in various sizes, including 2 3/4 and 3-inch diameters, and can be used for lebkuchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unblanched almonds, finely ground (with skins)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup candied orange peel, finely diced
- 1/2 cup candied lemon peel, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 42 -48 round german baking wafers, 2 3/4 or 3 inches in diameter (oblaten)
- 1In the bowl of an electric mixer or in a large bowl, beat or whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- 2Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water over low heat and heat, whisking until the mixture is thick and very warm (about 130 F) Remove from the water bath and continue beating until the mixture is cool.
- 3Combine the almonds, flour, zests, and spices in another bowl.
- 4Stir into the egg sugar mixture.
- 5Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 6Place the oblaten on baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- 7Spread 1 rounded tablespoonful of the cookie dough on each oblaten, spreading to the edges of the wafers.
- 8Let the cookies stand, uncovered, for 1 hour before baking so that the top will dry.
- 9Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 10Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cookies are crusty on the upper surface, but still moist in the center.
- 11Remove the cookies from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- 12In a small bowl, stir the sugar and lemon juice together to make a thin glaze.
- 13Spread over half of the cooled cookies.
- 14Place the chocolate into a glass bowl and heat in the microwave at high power for about 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted.
- 15Spread the melted chocolate over the remaining cookies.
- 16Decorate with the almonds.
- 17Makes 42 to 48 cookies.
- 18The Great Holiday Baking Book Beatrice Ojakangas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Lebkuchen With German Baking Wafers Oblaten
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.3
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 299.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied orange peel
candied lemon peel