Recipe by Olha
Thinly sliced calf's liver with a sweet and sour onion sauce.
Top Review by 5thCourse
I had to make this with chicken liver (can't find any other here:() A lovely gravy forms as you cook and carries a wonderful flavour that is a nice change from your everyday meal. My husband agreed that the vinegar taste is slightly too forward, maybe reduce it a few drops. The two of us ate pretty much the whole yield in one sitting! Thanks, Olga
- 3 1⁄2 ounces smoked bacon, diced (100 g)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 12 ounces calf liver, thinly sliced (375 g)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, fry the Speck or bacon.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft and transparent.
- Dust the liver slices with flour and sauté them lightly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust amount of sugar and vinegar to suit your taste Serves 4.
- German Traditional Cooking.