3 hrs 40 mins
I translated this recipe from "Brot Backen," a German language cookbook I acquired while living in Germany. I used to buy this bread weekly from the bakery in our town and had to track down a recipe for it. I will update the measurements for American kitchens once I have tried this. At the bakery they had little bottles of water that they would spray onto the raw dough before baking to make the tops crispy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure out the milk and add yeast and sugar; set aside for about 10 minutes or until frothy (if it doesn't get frothy, start over- your yeast is dead or your milk was too hot and killed the yeast).
- 2Mix together the yeast mixture with salt, eggs and egg yolk, creme fraiche.
- 3Combine the flour and the wet mixture until a dough forms (you may need a little extra flour depending upon the humidity that day).
- 4Knead on a floured board, adding extra flour if needed to keep from being too sticky, until a smooth ball forms.
- 5Place in a greased bowl, flip over once, and cover with either a damp clean towel or plastic wrap that has first been srayed with nonstick spray.
- 6Let rise until doubled in bulk- approx 1 or 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Punch down and knead again on a floured surface.
- 8Grease a 30cm long loaf pan well and sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs.
- 9Set dough into the pan and even out the top.
- 10Cover as before and let rise another hour.
- 11Heat oven to 175 C.
- 12Remove cover and using a sharp knife, make slashes in the dough every 1 cm.
- 13Spritz with a bit of water (this will make the crust crisp up).
- 14Bake on the second rack of your oven for about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Kastenweissbrot (White Loaf Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 103.8 mg
- Sodium 324.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 9.9 g