Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The original version of this recipe came from Empire Magazine, a newspaper Sunday supplement, many years ago. If the optional potatoes are included, this dish, with a salad and bread makes a quick and hearty meal.
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked German sausages, cut in bite size pieces (2 large links)
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, cut in bite size pieces (2 large links)
- extra virgin olive oil, for sauteing
- 3 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh green beans, strings pulled, snapped in half
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory, lightly crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced, more if desired
- yukon gold potatoes (optional) or new potato, peeled or scrubbed, halved or quartered if large (optional)
- Place both sausages types in a greased Dutch oven or heavy 5 quart saucepan.
- Cook over moderately high heat until browned on all sides.
- Remove from pan.
- Add enough olive oil to drippings from sausage to make about 4 Tbsp, add onions, garlic, and green beans, and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until onions are transparent and garlic is just beginning to brown.
- Add basil, savory, salt, pepper, beef broth, mushrooms and potatoes, and mix well.
- Boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until beans and potatoes are done.