This recipe is from Horst Mager owner of the Rheinlander in Portland, Oregon. We love the food at the Rheinlander and Gustav's(another of his restaurants)
- Cook potatoes in their jackets, until done.
- Cool slightly and peel.
- Cut into thin slices while still warm.
- In a non-stick skillet, add a mixture of canola oil and olive oil- just enough to coat the bottom of pan.
- Heat oil and add potato slices and onion.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until golden brown.
- Sprinkle liberally with chopped chives or parsley.
I rarely fry potatoes anymore, but am so glad I tried these. I liked that the oil in this recipe just covers the pan. I microwaved the potatoes to speed things along and also left the peels on. The purple onion & garlic flavors came thru and I might even add more garlic next time. Crispy flavored potatoes were a treat! Made for the German Tag Game.
I didn't have red potatoes but I used Yukon Gold's which have a similar waxy texture. This was a real treat as I fry spuds maybe once a year but I just couldn't resist these. Loved the garlic and red onion. This recipe will fill that empty spot and leave a smile on your face.
These were tasty potatoes... Due to some hungry masses I didn't get to let the potatoes cool as much as I would have liked. I also left the skins on as suggested by others. I did halve the oil but next time I will use all of the oil and I will use another clove of garlic. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds ZWT6