Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Horst Mager owner of the Rheinlander in Portland, Oregon. We love the food at the Rheinlander and Gustav's(another of his restaurants)
- 12 red potatoes, small
- 1 red onion, cut in julienne
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chives or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cook potatoes in their jackets, until done.
- Cool slightly and peel.
- Cut into thin slices while still warm.
- In a non-stick skillet, add a mixture of canola oil and olive oil- just enough to coat the bottom of pan.
- Heat oil and add potato slices and onion.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until golden brown.
- Sprinkle liberally with chopped chives or parsley.
I rarely fry potatoes anymore, but am so glad I tried these. I liked that the oil in this recipe just covers the pan. I microwaved the potatoes to speed things along and also left the peels on. The purple onion & garlic flavors came thru and I might even add more garlic next time. Crispy flavored potatoes were a treat! Made for the German Tag Game.
I didn't have red potatoes but I used Yukon Gold's which have a similar waxy texture. This was a real treat as I fry spuds maybe once a year but I just couldn't resist these. Loved the garlic and red onion. This recipe will fill that empty spot and leave a smile on your face.
These were tasty potatoes... Due to some hungry masses I didn't get to let the potatoes cool as much as I would have liked. I also left the skins on as suggested by others. I did halve the oil but next time I will use all of the oil and I will use another clove of garlic. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds ZWT6