Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Here is a good tasty way to use up all those green tomatoes.
- 12 lbs green tomatoes, blanched,peeled and thinly sliced (about 5 1/2 quarts)
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 green peppers, halved,seeded,de-ribbed and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds, coarsely crushed in a mortar
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 7 1⁄2 cups wine vinegar
- Combine all of the ingredients in an enameled, tinned or stainless steel pot.
- Stirring occasionally, heat the mixture to simmering and cook over low heat for three hours.
- Pour into jars, cover and process.
- Elizabeth Schuler.
- Mein Kochbuch.