Recipe by HeatherFeather
From my Great Aunt's recipe collection. This originally came from a German dairy farmer's wife from Illinois and was published in a local cookbooklet put out by The Naperville Sun. Unlike the fruitcakes you may be used to, this one calls for fruit preserves rather than candied fruits. Choose chunky preserves, with big pieces of fruit, for best results.
Top Review by cmdaum4
Thank you so very much for posting this recipe. I used to make this recipe every Christmas, then we had a storage unit robbed and my recipe was stored there. I haven't made this recipe in something like 15 years. I got the recipe in a West Texas Utilities Christmas recipe booklet that came to my folks' house way, way back when I was still in high school and on this coming Saturday, I will be 60 years old. I am so very excited about having found this recipe again that you have absolutely made my Christmas for this year. Can you guess what our neighbors will be getting for Christmas this year? Bless you and thank you again. Connie
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup cherry preserves
- 2⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 2⁄3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Separate eggs and add the yolks to the butter, beating well.
- Sift together the flour and the spices.
- Mix the buttermilk and baking soda together, then add some to the butter mixture,alternating with the flour mixture, until all is incorporated.
- Add the preserves and the nuts, stirring gently.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with clean beaters until stiff peaks form, then fold gently into the batter.
- Scrape into a large greased& floured Bundt pan or tube pan and bake at 350 F preheated for 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.
- Let cool before removing from pan.