Recipe by chris_tam
My Grandmother got this recipe when she and my mom lived in Germany. This is my all time favorite way to fix potatoes.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
This is awesome and so easy to put together. I followed others advise and fried the bacon and onions first, then removed from the pan and did the potatoes - adding them back just before they were done. Also added a pinch of crushed red peppers for an extra kick and served for breakfast with recipe#242492. Wonderful.
- 3 lbs potatoes, any kind
- 1 lb bacon, maple flavored, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup olive oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash potatoes.
- Sometimes I peel the potatoes and sometimes I don't. It's good either way.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- I take frozen bacon because it's easier to cut and cut strips down the side to get my one inch pieces.
- Put enough olive oil in a large deep skillet (cast iron is good) to cover bottom of pan about 1/4 inch deep. Add all of the potatoes to the pan, along with cut up bacon which hasn't been cooked yet; diced onions, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring and watching so that potatoes don't burn because they will stick to the bottom of pan as they are cooking and you will need to scrape them up as they are browning.
- You can cover the pan for the first 20 minutes of cooking and cook on low and then turn up the heat for the last 15 minutes or so in order to brown some of the potatoes.
- Good with steaks and a salad.
- Estimated on servings time to make.