Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
"Gebackener Spargel Mit Kräutercreme" Source: Germanfoods.org
Make and share this German Fried Asparagus With Herb Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white asparagus
- 1 cup flour
- 150 ml light german beer
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- canola oil (for frying)
For the herb cream
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 2 german pickles
- 1 small onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- Wash and peel asparagus and chop off the woody ends.
- Cut the stems into 2 1/2 inch pieces.
- Cook in boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Dab dry with kitchen paper.
- Whisk together the flour, egg yolk, beer, salt and oil and allow batter to stand for 30 minutes.
- For the herb cream, chop the egg, pickle and onion and mix with the mayonnaise.
- Mix in the chives and parsley and season to taste with salt, pepper, mustard and lemon juice.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and mix into the beer batter.
- Dip the asparagus pieces into the beer batter and fry in a deep fat fryer or deep frying pan until golden brown.
- Serve with the herb cream.
Way different and way good! Fried anything is always good - fried asparagus - GREAT! The herb cream was a good dipper and would be great in other recipes as well. Thanks.
Loved this! Even asparagus hating DS ate this up. The herb cream is suspiciously like our southern tartar sauce....not what I'd normally pair with asparagus. But we were pleasantly surprised by the combination. Made for ZWT6! Thanks for sharing.