Recipe by Sackville
A great recipe for kids and adults who are really kids at heart! So easy to make. I got this recipe from my German friend Katja, who often brought it to a class we took together and made my lunch breaks very tasty indeed. I think you could sub shortening or butter for the coconut fat (Palmin) she used but I have not tried it, having only made this while in Germany.
Top Review by texasgal #3
The cake is called " kalte Schnauze" ( cold muzzle)or "kalter Hund" (cold dog) depending on the area you live in. It is a kids birthday party favorite( at least for the now 40 and older crowd :) Then you would of course omit the rum!!! Oh, the recipe brings back so many german childhood memories. Guten Apettit!
- 250 g coconut fat, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 150 g icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon coffee
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- 24 butter cookies
- 2 tablespoons nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the shortening and let cool.
- Mix the eggs, salt and icing sugar together.
- Add the cocoa powder, coffee and rum as well as the lemon zest if using.
- Add shortening when cool.
- Line a small loaf pan with aluminium foil or wax paper.
- Layer the cookies, then cover with some of the chocolate mix. Repeat.
- Sprinkle with nuts on top.
- Cool 2 hours in the fridge, slice and enjoy.