Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great recipe for kids and adults who are really kids at heart! So easy to make. I got this recipe from my German friend Katja, who often brought it to a class we took together and made my lunch breaks very tasty indeed. I think you could sub shortening or butter for the coconut fat (Palmin) she used but I have not tried it, having only made this while in Germany.
- Melt the shortening and let cool.
- Mix the eggs, salt and icing sugar together.
- Add the cocoa powder, coffee and rum as well as the lemon zest if using.
- Add shortening when cool.
- Line a small loaf pan with aluminium foil or wax paper.
- Layer the cookies, then cover with some of the chocolate mix. Repeat.
- Sprinkle with nuts on top.
- Cool 2 hours in the fridge, slice and enjoy.
The cake is called " kalte Schnauze" ( cold muzzle)or "kalter Hund" (cold dog) depending on the area you live in. It is a kids birthday party favorite( at least for the now 40 and older crowd :) Then you would of course omit the rum!!! Oh, the recipe brings back so many german childhood memories. Guten Apettit!
This is amazing. Everyone I give some to loves it. I even caught my mom licking her plate. :P