Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh Fruit Kuchen, a summertime favorite and, with the help of a bread machine, is especially easy to prepare. It makes a delicious start to a lazy summer day when you want to hurry off to the beach or another favorite activity. Try it with juicy nectarines, peaches, plums or pears. The recipe calls for all-purpose flour to make the coffee cake especially light and tender. Dough can be prepared in all-size bread machines.
- 1⁄4 cup water (70 to 80 F)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, cut up
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons fleischmann's bread machine yeast
- 3 cups fresh fruit, sliced 1 inch thick (such as apples, pears, plums, peaches or nectarines, peeled if desired)
- sieved apricot jam or melted apricot jam
- 1⁄2 all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 4 -5 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Measure dough ingredients into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Process on dough/manual cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to lightly floured surface.
- If necessary, knead in additional flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Roll dough to 10 x 15-inch rectangle.
- Place on large, greased baking sheet.
- Arrange fruit, in lengthwise rows, 1/2 inch apart, on dough.
- Sprinkle Crumb Topping between rows of fruit.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Makes 1 (10 x 15-inch) coffee cake.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Brush fruit with jam and drizzle Almond Icing over cake.
- Crumb Topping: Combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg.
- Cut in 3 tablespoons softened butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Almond Icing: In small bowl, combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 4 to 5 teaspoons milk and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; stir until smooth.