I know, I know...it's hard to believe any recipe with sauerkraut could even be beyond a two star recipe. All I can say is that in its category, this recipe can give any sauerkraut recipe a run for its money. It originally showed up in the 80's and I have to give credit to Marseille Bienvenue, a local cooking columnist and legend. Potatoes that have been slightly precooked may be added, and using one whole pound of sausage is my personal preference.
- Brown pork chops in a large skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, brown smoked sausage and onion.
- Place sauerkraut in a colander; rinse and drain well, squeezing out excess moisture.
- Add sauerkraut to sausage and onion.
- Stir in caraway seed, wine and broth.
- Cook and stir, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer sauerkraut mixture to a large baking dish.
- Arrange browned chops on top; add the optional potatoes, if desired.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 1 hour.