Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I know, I know...it's hard to believe any recipe with sauerkraut could even be beyond a two star recipe. All I can say is that in its category, this recipe can give any sauerkraut recipe a run for its money. It originally showed up in the 80's and I have to give credit to Marseille Bienvenue, a local cooking columnist and legend. Potatoes that have been slightly precooked may be added, and using one whole pound of sausage is my personal preference.
- Brown pork chops in a large skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, brown smoked sausage and onion.
- Place sauerkraut in a colander; rinse and drain well, squeezing out excess moisture.
- Add sauerkraut to sausage and onion.
- Stir in caraway seed, wine and broth.
- Cook and stir, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer sauerkraut mixture to a large baking dish.
- Arrange browned chops on top; add the optional potatoes, if desired.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 1 hour.
Delicious! The only thing I added was a touch of brown sugar to cut the sourness of the sauerkraut. That's what the Germans do. We loved this. I also added the potatoes. Very easy to prepare. Thanks for posting. :)
Lovely!! This was delicious even though I did not have wine or apple juice on hand (I just used water)
I have been nibbling on the leftovers all day today! Thanks!
This was yummy! I used kielbasa and the white wine and made as directed. Very simple and good. Thanks GailAnn. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6.