I got this recipe of my mum this Christmas. She had made it for Christmas Eve and the more I ate of it, the more I liked it. I usually prefer mayonnaise, but in this recipe miracle whip works better. This works best if you make it a day in advance and leave the flavours to develop. Bologna is called 'Feine Schinkenwurst' or 'Feine Fleischwurst' in Germany and you might find it in some supermarkets sold as such. I know in the UK you can get it in a ring in Aldi.
- Cut the sausage, cheese and apples into small, even cubes.
- Slice the eggs.
- Chop the onion really fine and mix in a large bowl with the miracle whip, yoghurt, mustard, dill pickle liquid and sugar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add all other ingredients and mix. Be careful not to break up the eggs to much.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.
- The longer you allow it to stand the better the flavour.
- If you feel the salad is too dry, mix a little more of the sauce and add it to your liking.