Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe of my mum this Christmas. She had made it for Christmas Eve and the more I ate of it, the more I liked it. I usually prefer mayonnaise, but in this recipe miracle whip works better. This works best if you make it a day in advance and leave the flavours to develop. Bologna is called 'Feine Schinkenwurst' or 'Feine Fleischwurst' in Germany and you might find it in some supermarkets sold as such. I know in the UK you can get it in a ring in Aldi.
- Cut the sausage, cheese and apples into small, even cubes.
- Slice the eggs.
- Chop the onion really fine and mix in a large bowl with the miracle whip, yoghurt, mustard, dill pickle liquid and sugar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add all other ingredients and mix. Be careful not to break up the eggs to much.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.
- The longer you allow it to stand the better the flavour.
- If you feel the salad is too dry, mix a little more of the sauce and add it to your liking.
Loved this! It's a bit more exciting than the usual mayo-based salads. I loved all the flavors and textures. I made it just as written, using the mayonnaise and I used a little more mustard than listed. This is wonderful and I'm glad I tried it. Thanx!
We had an Oktoberfest theme for our monthly quilting potluck lunch yesterday. I brought this and everyone loved it! It is very tasty with a good crunch from the apples. I didn't know what size dill pickles to use. I bought a jar of Claussen's dill wholes and used four in the mid range of sizes, so I'd say they were about three and a half by a little less than an inch thick. I used sour cream instead of the yogurt because it was what I had on hand. I used nice deli salami which was less dry than the stick kind, and it was delicious. I also ended up doubling the dressing (except the onions) so it was perhaps creamier than the original. Oh wow! What a great find. Thanks, Sylvie, and thanks to your mum.
A great salad! So good for the summer! I made some changes though! I used more yoghurt and less mayo! I used for the first time pickle juice and apple with eggs! Bizzare but tasty. Oh, and I redused the salami and used more gouda, about 300gr cause I love this cheese! 5 stars and a big thanks for Sylvie and her mum!