Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a German Christmas Cookie made by my girlfriend's "Ohma".
- 2 hard cooked egg yolks
- 2 raw egg yolks
- 1⁄4 lb butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup chopped blanched almond
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Put the hard cooked egg yolks through a wire sieve. (To do this easily, press them through with your fingers). Add the raw egg yolks and mix well.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar; add the egg mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in the flour, cardamon, and lemon zest; blend well. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Roll out small portions of the dough at a time on a lightly floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2" cookie cutter. Brush with egg white, then sprinkle the tops with the sugar and almond mixture.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until delicately browned.
Good cookies- they taste wonderful and look fine, literally. I cut them into heart shape and got a little over eager with the sugar-almond mixture ;) Had problems rolling out the dough, because it cracked much, so I pressed most of it down by hand... wish it were a bit more moist and easier to handle, but Iove German recipes in general!