Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake is so easy to make, and looks so impressive! It's a combination of chocolate and vanilla cake, with cherries, german buttercreme and a crunchy layer of chocolate.......yum!
- 1 (18 ounce) boxbetty crocker poundcake mix
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- Magic Shell ice cream topping
- Mix the pound cake mix as directed on the box.
- Put 1/2 of the batter in a greased 9"x14" pan or a springform pan.
- Mix in cocoa powder in the rest of the batter to turn dark brown. Gently spoon over the vanilla batter. (Use a spatula and "lay" it onto the other batter, as opposed to dropping.).
- Lay cherries on top in rows, 1" away from each other. Do not press in, they will sink in while baking.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 (or until done). Let the cake cool completely.
- Make the german buttercreme according to clara 12's Recipe #58987. And spread a rich layer (about half an inch thick) over the top of your cake when cool.
- Finally pour one bottle of Magic Shell ice cream topping on top. Tilt cake to cover. And enjoy!
Used this recipe as part of DD's 4-H Global Gourmet project. This was the food item that disappeared first at her meeting, leaving kids and adults alike asking for more. Will likely use a real ganache recipe the next time around, though, as our cake "ate" the magic shell and soaked in instead. So easy and delicious!
The cake is Delicious!!! all 16 people RAVED!! But I ran into several problems. The cherries sank all the way to the bottom! There was way too much buttercream on top and when I released the springform ring the cake separated pretty much all around. I had greased the pan realy well though. I will make this cake again, because it is sooo delicious, but I will use more than half the batter on the bottom. I will also release the ring when the cake is cold. I will use part of the buttercream for the top and also around the sides. I loved the Magic Shell for the topping, but one word of warning!!! Shake the bottle realy WELL before pouring it on the cake.Thanks for posting this recipe! :-0
this is a very easy recipe. i use to do it from scrach in germany, but i didnt find the ingrediance in the south of florida. it comes very close to my original recipe. and the buttercreme too. just use a good vaniellepudding. I didnt like the magic shell ice creme stuff. I used the dipping chocolate for mor crun.