Recipe by what are we eating tonight?
This cake is so easy to make, and looks so impressive! It's a combination of chocolate and vanilla cake, with cherries, german buttercreme and a crunchy layer of chocolate.......yum!
Top Review by Yogachef
Used this recipe as part of DD's 4-H Global Gourmet project. This was the food item that disappeared first at her meeting, leaving kids and adults alike asking for more. Will likely use a real ganache recipe the next time around, though, as our cake "ate" the magic shell and soaked in instead. So easy and delicious!
- 1 (18 ounce) boxbetty crocker poundcake mix
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- Magic Shell ice cream topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the pound cake mix as directed on the box.
- Put 1/2 of the batter in a greased 9"x14" pan or a springform pan.
- Mix in cocoa powder in the rest of the batter to turn dark brown. Gently spoon over the vanilla batter. (Use a spatula and "lay" it onto the other batter, as opposed to dropping.).
- Lay cherries on top in rows, 1" away from each other. Do not press in, they will sink in while baking.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 (or until done). Let the cake cool completely.
- Make the german buttercreme according to clara 12's Recipe #58987. And spread a rich layer (about half an inch thick) over the top of your cake when cool.
- Finally pour one bottle of Magic Shell ice cream topping on top. Tilt cake to cover. And enjoy!