Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Translated from the German recipe of Maria Hedwig Stuber. Posted by request.
- 1 big cucumber
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons dill (use a combination) or 2 tablespoons parsley (use a combination) or 2 tablespoons borage (use a combination)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- For marinade: mix all ingredients, oil comes last; mix well.
- Then cut the cucumber to fine slices using a potato peeler.
- Sprinkle salt on them and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Drain liquid released by the cucumber.
- Mix the cucumber slices with the onion and marinade and add the herbs.
- Variation: You can add black olives and cubes of sheep´s or goat´s cheese.
This was simple and quite tasty! Thanks for sharing.
YUM! Used dried dill and it turned out great. I did double it and it made too much for our party thinking everyone would take agreat big scoop.
Awesome! Everyone loved it. I used a 2:1 ratio for the vinegar:sugar and used apple cider vinegar. Also used fresh dill and parsley (no borage). I used salt sparingly in the marinade as I found the cukes still rather salty after sweating them. I also used the sour cream (not the yogurt). This is now on my perminant menu for our Oktoberfests going forward!