1/6 Photos of German Dark Rye Bread
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is one of 2 rye bread recipes I posted in answer to a request for a "marbled rye" bread. My suggestion for making the "marbled rye" is to knead the dark rye dough together with a "light" rye dough (Light (Seedless) Rye Bread), before shaping the loaves. (Of course that will make 4 loaves, since each recipe makes 2 loaves).This recipe makes a wonderful dark rye bread! (90 minute prep time includes rising time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, salt, cocoa, yeast, and caraway seed.
- 2Heat and stir molasses, butter, sugar, 2 cups water and 2 Tablespoons oil until warm (about 110°-115°F).
- 3Add to dry mixture.
- 4Beat at low speed on electric mixer 1/2 minutes, scraping bowl.
- 5Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- 6Then by hand, stir in enough rye flour to make a soft dough.
- 7Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead till smooth (about 5 minutes).
- 8**Cover, and let rest 20 minutes.
- 9Punch down dough.
- 10Divide in half.
- 11Shape into 2 round or oval loaves on greased baking sheets.
- 12Brush with small amount of cooking oil.
- 13Slash tops with knife.
- 14Cover; let rise until double (45-60 minutes).
- 15Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- 16Remove from baking sheets, place on racks to cool.
- 17**Note:If using this recipe to make a light/dark"marbled" rye loaf, knead both the light and dark doughs separately for about 3 minutes or so, then combine the light and dark doughs and knead them together for another minute or so (to produce the marbled effect).
- 18Proceed with the recipe as stated.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Dark Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1653.0
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 3631.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 336.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.8 g
- Sugars 40.1 g
- Protein 44.5 g