Recipe by Soon2BMrsG
I ate this while in Germany and was desperate to re-create it when I got home! It is rich, creamy, and thick but has great flavor. Many of the measurements can be adjusted according to personal taste--more or less meat, garlic, cheese, kale, etc. This is also very good when served in a bread bowl. Preparation and cook times are approximate.
- 1 (2 lb) carton vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 6 medium potatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb sausage
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, diced
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 -6 ounces gouda cheese or 4 -6 ounces farmer cheese, shredded
- 3 -5 stalks fresh kale, well rinsed and shredded into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 dash salt
- extra shredded cheese, if desired (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in vegetable stock and water in a large soup pot, until they are very soft.
- While potatoes are cooking, brown beef, pork, and garlic.
- Once potatoes are done, add meat and garlic mixture, milk, and cream cheese. Bring to a boil and cook 3-4 minutes or until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Turn heat down to low. Let soup simmer 7 minutes. Add cream and cheese. Simmer 5 minutes. Add kale, simmer 5-7 minutes. Season with pepper and salt, and serve hot. Garnish with extra shredded cheese if desired.