Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe sounds hard, but once you've made it you won't need the recipe to make it. It is simple and goes great with pork chops. This was the only way my kids ever ate spinach along with all my nieces and nephews and there are many. Most cooks make spinach with onion, but once you try the garlic and sour cream...you won't go back! In our house there are never any leftovers.
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed and drained
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-1 cup cream or 1⁄2-1 cup milk, approximately
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- Wash and drain your spinach.
- Combine salt and water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Place drained spinach into the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer a few minutes only until tender. You don't want to loose too many vitamins.
- Drain well and chop.
- In a small saucepan, an iron skillet works best, melt the butter.
- Add flour and make a roux. You only want your roux to be a beautiful golden color but not too light.
- Add minced garlic. Sauté only a moment - Don't brown garlic or it will make your dish bitter.
- Slowly add part of the milk to make sauce.
- Put spinach back in the original pan pour your sauce over it.
- Remember the spinach will give off a little extra water-- don't add too much milk until you know how much more you'll need.
- Stir over medium heat until it is bubbling.
- If it is too thick, add enough cream or milk as needed.
- When thick enough, take off heat and stir in sour cream.
I like my spinach this way too.But being part Hungarian, I just gotta have a little sauteed onion and a pinch of nutmeg...but that's just me. This is definitely kid friendly and tasty. Oh, one more thing, I only blanch the spinach and try to retain as much colour as possible.
I tried this lovely spinach and it was very easy to make. I added some nutmeg and a little more salt. Very tasty!
i love these east euro type vegetable dishes! i bet it would marry well with a nice banger or two!